Wednesday, February 07, 2007

its minus a million, with the wind chill

Oh, here's Cheri complaining about the cold again. Its *always* forty below where she lives. She's just too lazy to do the conversion, so she says its forty below so the Americans will all understand, that is DAMNED cold, because its the same in the US.

No, really FORTY BELOW. That is how cold it is. I don't know the whole conversion thing, I admit. But it does seem funny to me when I hear someone whining that it is almost *zero* - or heaven forbid, MINUS TEN.

Ok, I don't know what your minus ten is, but ours is livable. Minus forty, however, is not.

Tonight on the news, they were obviously as sick as I am of trying to impress anyone with the coldness of 'forty below' - so they said - with the windchill, its minus a million. There. You heard it on our news first - minus ONE MILLION. That works for me, because honestly, if its less than 25 below zero, and there's a windchill, it might as well be minus a million. Its too freaking cold. And its been at least minus 25 for so long, we just think its normal for some reason.

M. was threatening to break free and run outside. She is so sick of having to stay in. She'd be like one of those cartoon characters that freezes in mid-air, then gets tapped with a hammer and shatters. See, kids don't see stuff like that on TV anymore, so they don't understand when their moms say 'You will FREEZE in less than a minute! GET INSIDE!"

~Cheri

4 comments:

Christy said...

Funnily enough, -40 is the same in both celsius and fahrenheit.

Stay warm!

cheribear said...

Yes, it sure is!! That's why I always say its "almost minus forty" or whatever, so you guys understand me that it is COLD. But right now, it *is* actually forty below, and I need to make it clear that I am not even exaggerating, or just picking the common value, here. It really IS, and has been for days!

LOL - today I think its minus 37 without the wind chill even factored in.

Geri said...

Weird that -40 is -40 in both...but I did find that -10F is -23C. ANd I don't care who you are...that is freaking cold! LOL

justkc said...

You must realize that to my Californian self 40F, no minus, is COLD. I cannot even imagine how you can leave your house. Gag. One day I will make a Manitoba visit, but not when it is -40. Double gag.