Friday, March 02, 2007

20 minute challenge

Today, I looked around the house at about 2 pm and as always, it was a disaster. It usually is relatively clean before we go to bed every night - the kitchen and the livingroom cannot be left like that overnight! The thing about being at home with the kids all day is - they make a mess. I remember when I used to work and in the morning I would drop the kids at a sitter, go to work until 5, and come home and it was like some miracle - the house was EXACTLY the way we left it in the morning. Which might mean some empty cereal bowls in the sink, but certainly not the tornado-effect that we have by suppertime when the kids are home all day.

Those of you who have clean houses all day never cease to amaze me. My sister in law, for example. She has an almost four-year-old son who is very busy, and a little baby girl. And her house is always clean. She will often call and ask if my four year old would like to come and play for the afternoon (crazy? YES!) and so I will be at my house with one napping baby, she is at her house with one baby, and two four year olds. At three thirty when I go to pick up my oldest from school, I go to get the four year old from SIL's house. And as I walk by I can smell clean laundry from the dryer vent, then I can smell something very good cooking for supper from her stove vent, and then when I get in the door she will be standing holding her 5 month old baby, with a batch of cookies or banana bread cooling on the counter, and whatever the heck it is that smells so good cooking in the oven for supper AND a clean house AND her son AND my daughter have been playing all day.

So, I know it can be done, I just know it can't be done BY ME. But today, I took a look around and wondered if 20 minutes of dedicated cleaning might be able to put a dent in it. I challenge anyone else to do this - take a picture of an untidy place in your house, then work at it for 20 minutes, and take another picture. Let's see what you can do!!!

Kitchen @ 2:40-ish


Kitchen @ around 3:00


With the kitchen looking better than it has in days, I walked into the livingroom to find this:

That is right, two children still in PJ's and a heckuva mess. So I decided to put in another 10 minutes or so before I had to get my oldest from school, and so by the time I got her home, it looked more like this:


So, that was well worth the half hour I put in but the sad part is that since she came home from school, there were demands for a snack and they discovered the neatly stacked coloring books on the island while they were snacking, so now the island in the kitchen is somewhere between the "before" and "after" picture. And, I have to make cookies and supper isn't started. So I can't say what its going to look like 20 minutes from now. But I have pictures to prove it *was* clean, once.






5 comments:

Kelley said...

Wow Cheri! Good work! We do something similiar, except I set the kitchen timer for five minutes and race the kids to see how many of their toys we can put away in that time (generally something I make them do before we start another activity they're really dying to do). It's amazing what can be accomplished in a short time.

Your kitchen is gorgeous, btw!

Geri said...

Wow, even your 'before' pictures look a million times better than my house! LOL... I may try the challenge in my bedroom sometime this week. It looks like a laundry bomb went off in it...then the boys drag a bunch of toys in every morning.

I just love your kitchen btw, especially the cobalt blue KA in the corner! LOL

Laura said...

I need to try the 20 minute thing in our bedroom - that's the room that needs it the most. I get discouraged thinking that in another 20 minutes, it'll be a disaster again - which is why I let it go too long.

Christy said...

We're working on the keeping it clean part, but it never seems to last through the week. Monday it looks good, but by Friday hoo boy. Anyway, maybe I'll try your 20 minute challenge on my closet tonight.

Stacey said...

Cheri, I hate to put a damper on the thought that it get's better as they get older...but, it doesn't!! They just get into bigger, messier stuff. Like instead of a couple coloring books it's the entire craft cuboard emtied out to find a red marker that works...and paper cut into tiny little pieces and then miraculously forgetten to pick them up...and if they do there is sure to be a dozen pieces they missed. It's the snotty kleenex's beside their beds, on the floor surrounding the garbage can, because they said they didn't see them or...they were to busy!!