Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Meet me in St.Louis - the great Mom's getaway!

The whole gang




So, we did a little bit of touristy sightseeing in St.Louis. First stop was the Budweiser brewery which is interesting to me, of course - because its a brewery, and I like beer. I had NO IDEA how fabulous it would be. There are chandeliers in the horse stables, fancy woodwork and tile work and beautiful brass trim and everything, everywhere. It was surprising for me because I expected to be touring a working brewery - something very sterile and industrial - but I felt like I was touring a fancy billionaire's estate or something. Its really worth seeing even if you don't like beer, which I can't imagine, but whatever.



So, what they say is true, you do get free samples when you tour a brewery. I was fully expecting they'd just hand us a dixie cup full of beer on the way out, but they actually have room set up sort of like a bar and you can have TWO FULL GLASSES of beer, for free. They even provide pretzels. Since I could have two drinks, I tried out the Bud Light knowing I'd probably like it, and then took a chance on this pink beer. No, your eyes are not failing - that is a glass of pink beer. Or a 'malt beverage' to be exact - it tasted nothing like beer, but it was still very very good. I hope we can get them in Canada, I'll have my summer beverage all lined up. Its a strawberry flavored "Peel" - highly recommended.


We went out for a nice supper at the St. Louis Fish Market which was very good but I was expecting to be able to pick out a whole live lobster and eat it, and that just didn't happen. It wasn't even on the menu so I had a steak. No surprise there! After supper we went for a night out on the town - at the Big Bang Duelling Piano Bar I don't have to tell you that we don't have piano bars, much less DUELLING piano bars, where I come from. So I really, really enjoyed this place. Great music, lots of dancing and singing along - we had a lot of drinks and a lot of fun!

(above) Beth, Kris, me and Michele at the piano bar,
(below) Me with Laura and Chris


The next day we went for a tour of the famous Arch, which freaked me right out the more I looked at the thing and realized that if I were go to the top of it, there would be nothing but 600 feet of air below me. That's different than going up to the top of the Eiffel tower or something where you are up high, but at least there is something substantial between you and the ground.
We travelled up in these little pods that look like something directly out of Spaceballs. They clunk and bang all the way to the top and if it wasn't for good company in the pod, I'd have probably been clawing the door to get out (and the door looks very much like I wouldn't have been the first to do that....) We laughed nervously (and boisterously) about elevator nightmares and such things, and before we knew it - we were at the top.

me at the top of the Arch, avoiding looking down
looking down from the arch, the city of St.Louis including their shiny new fabulous home-of-the-World-Series-champions stadium. :)
after the arch some of us went for lunch at the School Street Station in Laclede's Landing they had board games set up so we played Trivial Pursuit together
l/r: Beth, Julie, Kelly, Ann, Sue, Eleanor, Geri, Michele and Kris

So, with the touristy stuff out of the way, we planned to just stay in the hotel and hang out that evening - there were almost 20 of us and we came to St.Louis to spend time together - so we did. Our hotel rooms at the Residence Inn St.Louis - Downtown had lots of room and full kitchens, so we were able to make a potluck-style feast right there in the hotel room. We spent the evening laughing until we cried, or crying until we laughed. I did a lot of the latter I am sure there will be plenty of teary-eyed pictures of me posted all over the place, so I won't do it here.

Carrie, Sarah, Geri and Chris - dishing up supper
Christy laughing till she cries, behind her - Kris, Karen, Sarah and Bethany
(we were all wearing our ugliest PJ's for the night in)


Over the weekend lots of people asked who we were and why we were in St.Louis together. The best answer I have is that we are all friends, we've known each other online for years - some of us have kept in touch for almost 7 years since this all started when I was pregnant with my first baby, who will be turning 6 in a few months. They've asked if it was weird when we met for the first time, was anyone uncomfortable - did you like them as much as you thought you would? Were they how you thought they would be? You know, everyone was exactly how I imagined they would be, only even better. I already know who they are, but to see them in person - hear their voices and know what it sounds like when they laugh - its pretty amazing after all of these years. Sometimes I would just sit there and watch and listen - because I couldn't believe we were all there, together. It was fun, and amazing and I can't wait to do it again, someday. For all of you (you know who you are!) who couldn't make it this time around - I know it will happen again and I'll have the chance to meet you all. Its been so long it doesn't matter WHEN it happens, as long as it does happen, someday. And for everyone who shared this wonderful trip with me - thank you for being so amazing. I couldn't imagine having a better time, but I know we will manage it whenever we get the chance. :)

Okay, I lied. Here are a few pictures of me sobbing:


The realization that Heather really IS leaving, in a few minutes, for real

BETHANNNNNYYYY!!!

saying goodbye to Christy, forgot to get a picture BEFORE we both were crying

Me with Eleanor and Geri. The three of us are on Emily Farnworth's CT together now - I'm not sure if Emily knew what she was getting into!! :)

13 comments:

Andrea said...

I'm here! Commenting in your blog! For the first time ever!

And it looks like I picked a great time to visit. The trip looks like it was fabulous! It's neat to see pictures of people I have known online for so long, so I can only imagine how you must have felt getting to spend time with everyone!

Stacey said...

Glad to hear you had a great time...aren't you glad you don't have to air-travel monthly, due to a job?? No matter the job...it would never pay enough to go through that kind of trouble...and worst yet the people at the airport think they are being "Helpful" sending you in the wrong direction...go figure!!

The brewery sounded like a great place to tour!!

Take care & rest up ~

cheribear said...

EA! You know, we thought of you too!! Your name came up (in a really good way) on Saturday night, and if it hadn't been so late already you might have been treated to drunken "COME HERE! GET IN THE CAR! DROP EVERYTHING AND JUST COME!!!" pleading phone calls. :)

Geri said...

I can't tell you enough how wonderful it was to meet you. It ranks right up there in my top 5 favorite things about the trip! :)

Ariel05 said...

So I can only see a few pictures. I thought I would try cutting and pasting the properties to a new window and came up with "Adult/Sexually Explicit". Guess I will try it at home tonight.

When I got home, I told Aaron that I just couldn't put the feelings into words that someone would understand. Like you I expected everything to be good and click, but it was the realization of those expectations is what really blew me away.

Eleanor said...

It was so great to meet you this weekend, Cheri!

Nicki said...

It sounds like you had a marvelous time! I am so jealous! I'm glad you had so much fun though!

Heather New said...

...I was sobbing in that picture, too.

I missed you too, Ea - it would have been awesome to have you there!

Melissa said...

I LOVE the pictures...LOVE them...I keep staring at them and picking people out...and wishing I was there :) Next time my friend...you guys aren't doing this without me EVER again LOL!!

Christy said...

It's great to look at the pics here, even if you did choose the MOST unflattering ones of me. lol

Carol said...

The trip report and pictures are awesome. It looks like everyone had a fantastic time!
Sorry you had so much trouble with your flights.

Laura said...

Great post Cheri!! :) Love the pictures - I especially love how fascinated you were with the free samples at the brewery. We did have a great time. You picked a crappy picture of me too though - I guess I should be glad I wasn't crying in it. :)

Bethany said...

CHERI! I can't tell you how wonderful it was to meet you. Having you there made the weekend that much more special. :)