Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Can't stop smiling

When I say everything I need is right here - I'm kind of short *one* thing. We don't have a library in town, and for someone who likes to read as much as I do - its something I really miss. I'm not French myself, but I can see that having a library with materials in French would be a great benefit to a community that is largely bilingual. So, a few years ago we organized a group of people who are interested in starting a bilingual (French/English) library for our community. We worked pretty hard at it for a year or so, and then the road seemed blocked in too many directions - and I had a baby and was busy with that, so it was sort of left hanging for about a year.

This fall, I thought I'd be able to work on this project and lots of other good things if I took a seat on town council. I've been a council member since November - its lots of meetings and work but we have good things happening and its worthwhile. Last night was one tof the many meetings, but a special one for me as the two councils decided last night (and read the bylaw for the first time) to establish our library.

And, so - we're on the way! The renovations are getting underway, we are finding donated shelving and desks and computers - here we go!

This has been a dream for me for a long time, and its really happening. I can't stop smiling. We're going to have a LIBRARY.

It almost makes me forget that a blizzard and road closures kept me from getting to the city to get my passport yesterday. I'm going to try again Thursday/Friday. Wish me luck!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

All I can say is woooooooooohoooooooooooooooo!

I'm so excited and happy for you!

Sarah said...

Wow. That's amazing Cheri. I am so impressed with you, and your commitment to changing your community. This library will be a gift for not only today, but the generations that come years from now. I'm just.. amazed.

Chelsea said...

Wow, that is just awesome Cheri!! What a wonderful, wonderful undertaking!

justkc said...

You are book lady!

Chris Wasielewski said...

That is so awesome Cheri. You truly are an example of "if you want something changed, go and change it!". That town is going to benefit SO much from your work!

Chris

Laura said...

Cheri, congratulations!!! Your hard work had a lot to do with it, I'm sure. Now where do I send the book donations for your new library?? :) I'm always cleaning out books and they're going to YOU from now on!

Melissa said...

You know, you should run for mayor when the position is available. Wouldn't that be a hoot? You would be so darn good at it too!!

I am just so excited for you!

Geri said...

That is so wonderful about your library!

I hope the roads will be clear for you to get over to where you need to be tomorrow to get your passport...you MUST be in St. L!

Lisa @ The Plain-Spoken Pen said...

Woo hoo! You got your library!