Friday, January 26, 2007

Passport stress

On Monday we went to the city for no other reason, except for me to submit my passport application. I knew to expect it to take longer because everyone is applying for passports right now as the new policy came into place this week and nobody can fly into the US from Canada without a passport. I thought I had plenty of time with almost 8 weeks before travelling. And I thought going to this "Service Center" would be the best option because they could check over my whole application and make sure its right so that it won't be rejected. Imagine my surprise when they told me that they cannot take my application - I have to go to the nearest Passport Office and apply for it in person. For us, "nearest Passport office" is either 3 1/2 or 5 hours away. And at these Passport offices, people are having to wait in line all day. My aunt went before Christmas (before the big rush) and waited over three hours. Now, I am hearing that people line up at 6 in the morning when the office doesn't even open until 9. Its just crazy and I am worried sick that I will make the 3 hour trip in and STILL not get in to submit my passport. I am hearing that people wait all day only to be turned away when the office closes at 4:30, and they have to return the next day. Living 3 1/2 hours away, I can't afford to be going home and coming back the same day.

I did as much of my application as I could online, and they say that's supposed to make the wait a lot shorter. I sure hope so because I don't have another chance to go, and I have to be back home for a Very Important Meeting at 7 pm. Everyone please cross their fingers that this goes smoothly - I'm just sick about it. I'll pack a good book and an Ipod and just plan on spending the day there, waiting.

Any Canadians reading this blog - if you have plans to go anywhere in the US in the next 6 months, get your passport application in NOW. If you can mail it in or drop it off at a service center, you can avoid the waiting and line-ups. But they told me at the Service Center that anyone planning to travel before May/June won't be guaranteed to get their passport on time unless they apply in person. Craziness!!

4 comments:

Christy said...

I'll be praying for you all day. Because you simply must get that passport. I won't have it any other way, even if I have to take on the combined power of the Canadian and US governments myself.

Chelsea said...

Oh my... what an ordeal! You must get that passport. You must, must, must!!!

Unknown said...

Cheri, this is likely a dumb question, but if there is anything I can do (I'm about 20 minutes from the passport office here), please let me know. And, if it makes you feel better, we got out passports done on December 13, and had them, in our hands, on January 3!

I've also heard about a man who waited in line just recently (and, unfortunately, it was a long line), but was guaranteed to have his passport by February 23 (and by recently, I mean last week). So, there is definetly hope!

cheribear said...

Jenn, that does make me feel better. First, that you have a passport, because I was going to ask....

And second, I know the processing time is also crazy but hopefully I can squeak by, and have it processed in time. Especially considering I *do* have a travel date, you just never know. I assume most other people do too, but maybe not a MARCH travel date.

And I did think of you - being that you work in government I had this crazy fantasy that you could fix it somehow.